Just Crazy About...

  • Converses
  • Pop-tarts
  • Harrison Ford
  • Reading
  • Pinterest
  • Classic Rock
  • Star Wars
  • My very patient BF
  • Wine. Lots of Wine.
  • Pumpkin Spice ANYTHING

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

I sure am glad my daughter is pretty...


Im glad my daughter is pretty.

Im shallow, you say?

Perhaps.

Or perhaps I just don’t want her to have to deal with todays generation of MONSTERS. She will get made fun of for a million things in her life, and im glad her appearance wont be one of them.

Im not sure how I would be able to help her handle it should she be on the…. Lower scale of the attractive chart (ie UGLY).

I know that beauty is only skin deep. I know that what you wear on the outside doesn’t matter, as long as you are a good person.

I could try to explain to her that once you meet THE RIGHT guy, who can make you LAUGH, and is SMART and SWEET and treats you right… it wont matter WHAT he looks like. Because to you, he will be the most attractive man in the world (aside from Harrison ford, that is).

I could try to explain to her that those pretty rich snobby girls are not the type of girls she wants to be friends with anyway. Real friends will value her for WHO she is, not WHAT she has. Those are the friends that last a lifetime. Those are the friends who you will make memories with, who will be there for you, who you will have in your wedding…

I could tell her that nine times out of ten whats IN your head will matter more than how she wears her hair. That with her brain she will be able to go to any school she wants, get a good job, be able to afford a good life, and be able to become the woman I KNOW she is capable of becoming.

Because she is kind. She is funny. She is caring. She is smart. And yes, she is pretty.

And I will continue to tell her all of those things. In todays society, if I can help her even that much, im going to.

 

But… shes 5. So shes not going to understand any of that.

All she understands right now is that some little ASS at the YMCA made fun of her hair.

(her hair that we put in rollers last night, and spent 20 minutes on this morning. And she was SO excited about it!!!!)

All shes going to remember is that a girl made fun of her because her shoes weren’t PINK.

Im glad shes pretty because that’s one LESS thing for her to have to worry about. One less thing for her to feel LOW about. As a girl, shes going to have a whole world of media to inform her that she fall short in some way of the ideal, and if there's anything I can do to redress the balance, in favor of her self-confidence, I will do so.

 

So I just sit here… with no idea what to do to help her out. All my wisdom is useless to the little girl who is crying because she doesn’t have a hello kitty thermos, and was made fun of because she brought a star wars thermos to day camp, and those are for ‘’boys’’ and the girls all pushed her and said ‘’are you a boy?’’ (id like to punch them all in the face)

The fact that im a girl and I LOVE star wars carrys no weight with her. The fact that ALL the BEST people like star wars doesn’t matter to her.

 So ill go out and buy her the hello kitty thermos. Because it breaks my heart to see her sad. Because no one wants their child ostracized. Because we all want our kids to fit in, and be popular.

 

But if this is the current mold… im not so sure that’s what I want for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment